Whether renting an accommodation or staying with family and friends in the Wild Dunes Resort on the Isle of Palms, a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) aka a “street legal golf cart” is a great addition to any visit! With an LSV, parking is easier and your car doesn’t get wet and full of sand from beach trips. Riding around the Wild Dunes Resort in an LSV is a unique way to experience the local surroundings, views, recreation activities and dining options.
Anybody staying in the Wild Dunes Resort on the Isle of Palms can rent one of our luxury LSVs, with the following exceptions:
- Island Rides is not allowed to rent LSVs in the following locations in Wild Dunes: Beach Club Villas, The Boardwalk Inn, Mariner’s Walk Villas, Ocean Club Villas, Port O’Call Villas, Seagrove Villas, Seascape Villas, Seaside Cottage Villas, Shipwatch Villas, Shipwreck Villas, Summerhouse Villas, The Sweetgrass Inn, The Moorings and Tidewater Villas.
- Island Rides can rent LSVs to Wild Dunes Property Owners in the off-season (September to May) only in the following locations: Lagoon Villas.
Access to a standard household 3-prong electrical outlet is needed to charge the golf cart when not in use.
Who Can Rent an LSV in Wild Dunes?
LSV rental requirements are basically the same as renting a car from a rental car agency. The primary renter must be at least 25 years of age, sign the rental contract, have a valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance. Any alternate drivers must be at least 21 years of age, be listed on the rental contract, have a valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance.
Wild Dunes LSV Booking:
LSV booking is by the night, so it’s similar to booking a hotel. LSV drop-off is between 12pm – 5pm on the first day of the reservation. LSV pick-up is between 8 am – 11am on the last day of the reservation. Our goal is to make your rental easy and accommodating, so please let us know if your travel arrangements require a pickup or drop off outside of those normal time ranges and we’ll do everything we can to accommodate your schedule.
Wild Dunes LSV Delivery:
Delivery is free for rental addresses in the Wild Dunes Resort on the Isle of Palms SC. Island Rides will deliver the LSV to your rental address at the start of the reservation and pick up the golf cart at the end of the reservation.
Wild Dunes LSV Driving Information:
All of Island Rides’ Low Speed Vehicles (LSVs) are fully street legal vehicles, have license plates as well as all required Department of Transportation safety equipment (e.g. DOT safety windshield, windshield wiper, seatbelts, back-up camera, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, horn, speedometer and side-view mirrors). Our LSVs can drive on any roads with a posted speed of 35 mph or less. Driving the LSV is the same as driving a normal car, hence all relevant rules of the road apply. LSVs are designed to be driven on roads only; off-roading is not allowed.
LSVs are not permitted to be driven on sidewalks nor bike lanes.
Wild Dunes LSV Parking:
Our LSVs can be parked in any ordinary car-parking spots or in any of the “Golf Cart Only” parking spots located around town. Please be sure to adhere to the rules listed on the parking signs to avoid getting a parking ticket.
Golf cart LSVs are not permitted to be parked sidewalks nor bike lanes.
Grand Pavilion rentals – must park under the house (in the drive under garage), if one is available
“Owners Only” parking areas are for Wild Dunes Property Owners only and possession of an Owners Pass is required to park in an “Owners Only” designated parking area.
Summer Dunes Land and Island Cottage Lane provide the closest beach access parking inside Wild Dunes. For easy beach access outside of the Wild Dunes gates, there are designated “Golf Cart Only” parking spots at 9th Ocean Blvd, 25th Ave, 28th Ave and 31st Ave along Palm Boulevard on Isle of Palms.
Wild Dunes LSV Charging:
All of Island Rides’ LSVs are 100% electric. They are clean, quiet and fun to drive! The standard battery LSVs require charging when not in use to keep the batteries charged and ready to go. The lithium battery LSVs only need to be charged when their battery level starts getting low. All of our golf cart LSVs have an onboard charger and come with heavy duty extension cords that plug into a standard 3-prong household electrical outlet. All of our LSVs have a battery charge level indicator that shows roughly how much battery life is left.
Standard Battery LSV
- Standard battery LSVs need to be plugged into power when not in use to keep the batteries topped off and ready to go.
- Standard battery LSVs need to be plugged in each night and allowed to charge overnight.
- We do not recommend operating the LSVs with less than 50% remaining on the battery indicator.
- The LSV batteries should never be drained to below 30% charge level, as this can cause irreparable damage to the batteries. Under no circumstances should the LSV be driven to a charge of 0%.
Lithium Battery Powered LSV
- Lithium battery powered LSVs only need to be charged when their battery level starts getting low (we recommend recharging once they reach about 50% battery capacity remaining)
- We do not recommend operating the LSV with less than 50% remaining on the battery indicator.
- The LSV batteries should never be drained to below 30% charge level to avoid running out of battery while on the road. Under no circumstances should the LSV be driven to a charge of 0%.
Wild Dunes LSV Rental Rules and Regulations:
- The primary renter/driver must be at least 25 years of age
- Anyone driving the LSV must be at least 21 years of age
- Anyone driving the LSV must have a valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is prohibited
- All normal automobile driving and parking laws apply to a Low Speed Vehicle
- All drivers agree to be in compliance with all laws and government regulations in regarding to use and operation of the LSV
- Everyone must be seated in a seat and wear a seatbelt at all times when in/on the LSV
- The number of passengers cannot exceed the LSV’s designed and installed seating capacity (i.e. 4 passenger maximum for a 4 seater LSV)
- All drivers must sign the rental agreement and waiver
- Wild Dunes requires that any onboard sound systems be disabled due to noise ordinances
Cancellation Policy – Cancel Anytime Coverage:
Worried about a last minute unexpected change of plans? Island Rides’ Cancel Anytime Coverage is an optional add-on service that provides protection against life’s unknowns. If Cancel Anytime Coverage is purchased during the initial reservation booking, you can cancel your reservation anytime, up to 12pm the day before your rental start date and receive a full refund of all rental fees and taxes, minus the Cancel Anytime Coverage fees. Refunds are issued to the credit card used to book the reservation.
Cancellation Policy – Standard
If the optional “Cancel Anytime Coverage” is not purchased during the initial reservation booking, then Island Rides’ Standard Cancellation Policy applies. Refunds are issued to the credit card used to book the reservation. The amount eligible for refund depends on the number of days remaining from the date a cancellation request is received by Island Rides until the rental start date on the reservation, as follows:
- 30 days or greater until the rental start date: 97% refund is available
- 15 – 29 days until the rental start date: 50% refund is available
- 0 – 14 days until the rental start date: 0% refund is available
Government Golf Cart & Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) Regulations:
South Carolina Code 56-2-100 – https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t56c002.php