Whether renting an accommodation or staying with family and friends in Downtown Charleston SC, a street legal golf cart Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) is a great addition to any visit! With a golf cart LSV, its not just about getting from point A to point B – its about the experience of getting between the two. Riding around in a street legal golf cart LSV is a unique way to experience the local surroundings, views, historical destinations, recreation activities and dining options.
Anybody staying in downtown Charleston, SC can rent one of our lithium battery powered golf cart LSVs. Access to a standard household 3-prong electrical outlet is needed to charge the golf cart when not in use. Many hotels and vacation rentals offer charging options for their guests, such as The Charleston Place Historic Downtown Hotel, The Dewberry Charleston Hotel, Hotel Bennett Charleston, Stay Duvet Vacation Rentals, St. Philip Square Vacation Rentals and Abode Luxury Rentals, just to name a few.
Who Can Rent a Golf Cart LSV in Downtown Charleston?
Golf cart LSV rental requirements are basically the same as renting a car from a rental car agency. The primary renter must be at least 25 years of age, sign the rental contract, have a valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance. Any alternate drivers must be at least 21 years of age, be listed on the rental contract, have a valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance.
Downtown Charleston Golf Cart LSV Booking:
Golf Cart LSV booking is by the night, so it’s similar to booking a hotel. Golf cart LSV drop-off is between 12pm – 5pm on the first day of the reservation. Golf cart LSV pick-up is between 8 am – 11am on the last day of the reservation. Our goal is to make your rental easy and accommodating, so please let us know if your travel arrangements require a pickup or drop off outside of those normal time ranges and we’ll do everything we can to accommodate your schedule.
Downtown Charleston Golf Cart LSV Delivery:
Island Rides will deliver the golf cart to your rental address at the start of the reservation and pick up the golf cart at the end of the reservation. The delivery fee for downtown Charleston is $69, which includes both delivery at the start and pickup at the end of the rental period.
Downtown Charleston Golf Cart LSV Driving Information
All of Island Rides’ golf cart Low Speed Vehicles (LSVs) are fully street legal vehicles, have license plates as well as all required Department of Transportation safety equipment (e.g. DOT safety windshield, windshield wiper, seatbelts, back-up camera, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, horn, speedometer and side-view mirrors). Our street legal golf carts can drive on any roads with a posted speed of 35 mph or less. Since pretty much all the roads in downtown Charleston are 35 mph or less, you can drive the golf cart LSV as you would a car and travel to any destination on the peninsula. Driving the golf cart LSV is the same as driving a normal car, hence all relevant rules of the road apply. Golf cart LSVs are designed to be driven on roads only; off-roading is not allowed.
Although you can drive anywhere you’d like on the downtown peninsula, the golf cart LSV must stay on the peninsula all times. Since all of the of the bridges to Mt. Pleasant, James Island and West Ashley have posted speed limits greater than 35mph, the golf carts cannot be driven to Mt. Pleasant, James Island nor West Ashely.
Golf cart LSVs are not permitted to be driven on sidewalks.
Downtown Charleston Golf Cart LSV Parking:
Our street legal golf carts can be parked in any ordinary car-parking spots or in any of the downtown parking garages. The golf cart LSVs can also park in any of the “Golf Cart Only” parking spots located around town. Please be sure to adhere to the rules listed on the parking signs to avoid getting a parking ticket.
Golf cart LSVs are not permitted to be driven nor parked on sidewalks.
Downtown Charleston Golf Cart LSV Charging:
All of Island Rides’ street legal golf cart LSVs are 100% electric. They are clean, quiet and fun to drive! The lithium battery LSVs only need to be charged when their battery level starts getting low. All of our golf cart LSVs have an onboard charger and come with heavy duty extension cords that plug into a standard 3-prong household electrical outlet. All of our golf cart LSVs have a battery charge level indicator that shows roughly how much battery life is left, although this is only a guide and should not be taken literally.
Lithium Battery Powered LSV
- Rentals for downtown Charleston SC will need to select a Lithium battery powered LSV.
- Lithium battery powered LSVs only need to be charged when their battery level starts getting low (we recommend recharging once they reach about 50% battery capacity remaining)
- We do not recommend operating the golf carts with less than 50% remaining on the battery indicator.
- The golf cart LSV batteries should never be drained to below 30% charge level to avoid running out of battery while on the road. Under no circumstances should the golf cart LSV be driven to a charge of 0%.
Downtown Charleston Golf Cart LSV Rental Rules and Regulations:
- Rentals for downtown Charleston SC will need to select one of the lithium battery powered LSV options
- The primary renter/driver must be at least 25 years of age
- Anyone driving the golf cart LSV must be at least 21 years of age
- Anyone driving the golf cart LSV must have a valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is prohibited
- All normal automobile driving and parking laws apply to a street legal golf cart Low Speed Vehicle
- All drivers agree to be in compliance with all laws and government regulations in regarding to use and operation of the golf cart LSV
- Everyone must be seated in a seat and wear a seatbelt at all times when in/on the golf cart LSV
- The number of passengers cannot exceed the golf cart LSV’s designed and installed seating capacity (i.e. 4 passenger maximum for a 4 seater golf cart LSV)
- All drivers must sign the rental agreement and waiver
Cancellation Policy – Cancel Anytime Coverage:
Worried about a last minute unexpected change of plans? Island Rides’ Cancel Anytime Coverage is an optional add-on service that provides protection against life’s unknowns. If Cancel Anytime Coverage is purchased during the initial reservation booking, you can cancel your reservation anytime, up to 12pm the day before your rental start date and receive a full refund of all rental fees and taxes, minus the Cancel Anytime Coverage fees. Refunds are issued to the credit card used to book the reservation.
Cancellation Policy – Standard
If the optional “Cancel Anytime Coverage” is not purchased during the initial reservation booking, then Island Rides’ Standard Cancellation Policy applies. Refunds are issued to the credit card used to book the reservation. The amount eligible for refund depends on the number of days remaining from the date a cancellation request is received by Island Rides until the rental start date on the reservation, as follows:
- 30 days or greater until the rental start date: 97% refund is available
- 15 – 29 days until the rental start date: 50% refund is available
- 0 – 14 days until the rental start date: 0% refund is available
Government Golf Cart & Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) Regulations:
South Carolina Code 56-2-100 – https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t56c002.php